Google

Saturday, February 9, 2008

A holiday trip to Russia?


Candy-striped Chesma Church, built by Catherine the Great


When the entire office was in Hong Kong, I did not feel disappointed about me not going and joining them. Not at all. Then I saw my Russian system admin and my other colleagues were asking him why didn't he join the Hong Kong trip. I replied my colleagues and said "why would he want to go to Hong Kong when he can go much further than Hong Kong?" And that was when suddenly I feel like going to Russia for a holiday. Russia. The home of KGB. Seriously, put aside all of the politics, Russia is a nice place. Don't get me wrong. Just because I used to admire all the Russian athletes (Alexander Popov and all the Russian tennis babes), I wanted to go to Russia instead. I mean, Russia is a nice place to visit. And again, building's architecture attracted me especially the churches. The architecture of the churches are completely different from any of the churches in Europe.

Not only the architecture captured my interest, I've heard a lot about the Tsar and Tsarina. And I used to watch that cartoon about the last surviving Tsar family, Anastacia. I'm not sure if they ever found the much talked about Anastacia. Also, I remember watching this tv show called 'Catherine The Great'. That is like a Russian version of Elizabeth I. A strong willed queen. If anyone said that woman don't rule, they are indeed wrong. Woman does rule and they rule equally well like men.

Well, let's see if I can have a trip to Russia for a holiday.


© Photographer: Jonathon Smith. All images Lonely Planet Images.

No comments: